Run for the Team
Members of Athens Road Runners are eligible to apply for one of our four competitive teams.
Each has a one-year commitment. The selection committee of board members looks for club members who enjoy competing in races and will represent Athens Road Runners and Fleet Feet Sports Athens at local, regional and national races in a positive way.
Applicants will be selected based upon the following criteria:
1. Certified race times within the past 18 months.
2. Demonstrated commitment to running, racing and the running community.
3. Good sportsmanship.
A selection committee of Athens Road Runners board members will determine the roster of each competitive team for each year.
Competitive Team member benefits:
- Team singlet
- Reimbursement for race entry fees for select races.
- The opportunity to train with team members and team coaches.
- The opportunity to race in sanctioned RRCA and USTAF local, regional and national events.
Competitive Team member responsibilities:
- Represent Athens Road Runners wearing team singlet in at least three races per year.
- Attend Athens Road Runners or Fleet Feet Sports events at least once each quarter.
- Volunteer for at least two Athens Road Runners or Fleet Feet Sports events per year
To apply for memberships on one of our competitive teams, click here to download the flyer and application.
Is a Competitive Team for Me?
Perhaps you are wondering if you should apply for one of the Fleet Feet/Athens Road Runners competitive teams.
Maybe you have asked yourself one of these frequently asked questions:
- Am I fast enough?
- How fast to I have to be?
- How many people are going to be on each team?
- What if I apply and then don’t get selected?
If you are a competitive runner who enjoys racing, then your answer of whether to apply is “yes.”
In determining who will run on each team, we will use the USATF age grading standards as a general rule for selection.
Over 80% = National Class
Over 70% = Regional Class
Over 60% = Local Class
Depending on the number of applications received, our competitive team will likely be comprised of runners in the Regional Class level. If we need additional runners to make up a complete team (likely 5-7 runners for each of the four teams listed in header) some runners in the Local Class will also be included.
If there is enough interest, we will explore the possibility of adding a Developmental Team for runners working toward the times of Regional Class.